With the difficulties in hiring this year, it’s important for business owners to look at the upcoming year as an opportunity in making positive changes that will attract new talent and retain current employees. One of the most effective ways in doing so is establishing an effective leadership team that can translate company objectives in a way that is inspiring, reasonable, and relevant to the team.
In order to really get 2023 off to a great start, take a good look at your management team now and address any areas of concern. We’ve compiled a list of the supportive measures employers should take in making sure managers will succeed in their roles.
Managers that make the difference
- Make sure managers have a clear understanding of their role and responsibilities. If there are goals they need to achieve, make sure they possess the tools to do so.
- Your managers should be advocates of the company’s culture, not simply the warden of productivity. Gone are the days when a boss was a distant fixture whose occasional presence was something to dread. Managers should be working alongside employees both in meeting goals and in championing a positive, collaborative work environment.
- The ability to resolve conflicts, including knowing when to involve HR, should be an ongoing focus. Managers are key players in an employee’s sense of well-being at the workplace, and leaders who know how to identify the appropriate solution to internal conflicts is an extremely pertinent component in this.
- Managers should delegate, and celebrate. Don’t let managers carry the burden of all the decision-making and tasks in any given project. Have them delegate to their teams which will not only prevent burnout, it will also instill confidence and collaboration in the entire team. Also, managers who take time to recognize the achievements and hard work of employees will do wonders for supporting employee engagement. Win-win!
- Lastly, training managers is never finished. We mention this a lot when it comes to supportive measures for staff. In order to encourage growth in a team, exposure to new ideas and tactics is essential. Develop a managerial mentorship program, start a manager forum or discussion panel, bring in experts. A manager with fresh ideas and reinforced skills is a powerful tool in boosting productivity and maintaining a happy workplace.
It’s important to note that training is a fluid thing, our inboxes are full with invitations to new managerial training programs for a reason. The working world is forever evolving and being able to identify where adjustments are needed is crucial to stay competitive. Here is where an experienced HR team like Eos HR can help. We make sure small businesses’ leadership teams are successful in implementing new policies and maintaining the practices that make for an inclusive and productive company culture. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more. #hr #hrconsulting #weareEOSHR #leadershiptraining #mangementtraining #smallbusiness